Yogic and Lifestyle tools to Build the Immune System
Something we would like to share with you from one of our dear teachers Dr. Shanti Shanti Kaur (Yoga Therapist)
There are many simple, effective and useful practices in Kundalini Yoga as taught by Yogi Bhajan® and Humanology that can strengthen your immune and nervous systems in response to viral infection (including but not limited to the Corona Virus). Listed below are a few tools to implement and to share with your community.
- Lifestyle practices:
- Adequate sleep/rest. Going to bed and waking up at the same time each day (Rhythmic strength) allows the body time to repair, strengthen and fight off infections.
- Exercise /activity
- Drink plenty of water
- Take extra vitamin C, D3, zinc and magnesium
- Reduce stress where possible, work/life/play balance is key
- Drink Yogi Tea regularly, the spices are strengthening for the digestion and immune system
- Clove tea is typically used in the springtime in the first warm days of the season. Clove tea has anecdotally been successful as a cold and flu preventative. Cloves are a spice known for reducing parasitic activity in the body. According to Yogi Bhajan, viruses breed in the springtime and drinking clove tea every morning for the month of May will increase protection. The nose, ears, throat, and bronchial tissues will absorb the protective capacity of the clove (Bhajan, 1995)
- Drink ‘black pepper coffee’ by boiling a handful of peppercorns in water for 5 minutes or so and then mix it with pomegranate or apple juice (1:1 ratio). It will help you clear mucus and recover from sicknesses quicker
- Create a paste of turmeric and black pepper by cooking these spices in a little water. This tonic paste can be taken in orange juice or in food up to 2 tablespoons a day
- Eat at least one meal a day that include ginger, onion, garlic and black pepper
- Immune Boosting Kriyas & Meditations
- Sat Kriya 62 minutes a day can be practiced in 2 sets of 31 minutes (i.e., once in the morning and once at night)
- Breath of Fire for 3-31minutes
- Anti-viral breath meditation (called inner sun in the level 1 manual) 15 minutes is the maximum time for this meditation practice in one sitting
- Kriya for Lungs and Deep meditation in Sadhana Guidelines
- New Lungs and Circulation in Level 1 Manual
- Strengthen the Immune System I, p. 4 Physical Wisdom
- Strengthen the Immune System II, P. 5 Physical Wisdom
- Massage for the Lymphatic System, P. 8 Physical Wisdom
- Immune Yoga I, p. 16, Physical Wisdom
- Boost Your Immune System, Praana, Pranee, Pranayam, 187
- Sitali Breath, Praana, Pranee, Pranayam, 190
~ Here are some hygiene tips from a prominent virologist Dr. James Robb, MD FCAP”
These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.
1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip – do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts
5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home’s entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can’t immediately wash your hands
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!
8) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.