Beetroot & Goats Cheese Tart:
A goat’s cheese and beetroot tart is not only super easy, it’s a fantastic way to use seasonal produce. Serve for lunch, as a side dish or light dinner.
- 450g (1lb) beetroot, peeled
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pack (320g) ready-rolled puff pastry sheet
- 200g (7oz) goat’s cheese crumbled
- 9 walnuts, roughly chopped
- 60g (2oz) rocket, washed
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6.
- Slice the beetroot thinly, using a mandolin.
- Place the beetroot slices in an ovenproof pan, drizzle with oil and season.
- Bake the beetroot for around 20 minutes or until cooked and tender.
- Meanwhile, put the pastry on a baking sheet. Score a small border around the edges of each piece with a knife and then prick within the border with a fork. Bake on the shelf below the beetroot for 15 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Remove from the oven and, if the centre has risen, gently flatten it.
- Arrange the beetroot slices inside the borders then sprinkle with cheese.
- Put the tart back into the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the tart and quickly sprinkle the walnuts on top and let the tart cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, cut into 6 pieces and serve with rocket.
- If you are in a hurry and don’t have the time to roast the beetroot beforehand you can buy the beetroot pre-cooked, but they shouldn’t be of the pickled kind.